There are many diamond buying companies out there, but only few of them are truly reputable. You really need to invest quality time into research to find a company that offers fair valuations and make fair price offers for your diamonds.
If you decided that you want to sell, the next most important step is to get a valuation. You don’t know the exact value of your diamonds given the current industry trends and market fluctuations. This is why you need an appraisal done by an expert jeweler. He is the one who will analyze closely every aspect of your diamond:
- Its carat weight
- Its color, cut quality and shape
- Its value also considering the precious metal it is set in (platinum, white gold, yellow gold, rose gold, etc.)
Before actually taking your diamond for such an appraisal, you are also welcome to use the quick instant diamond appraisal ‘calculators’ available online. You should not rely 100% on the values you will get, but at least you can have some estimates and a few ideas for how much you could sell your diamonds.
These instant online calculators will have you fill out a form with the following details:
- Select the shape of the diamond- round, emerald, pear, Asscher, radiant or other
- Then, you will need to appoint the carat weight of the largest diamond on you jewelry piece
- Then, include the total weight of the diamonds + the total number of diamonds
- The color grading for your largest diamond (check your diamond certification to obtain this detail)
- The clarity grading of the largest diamond of your jewelry (within certification)
- The type of diamond jewelry you are trying to sell- engagement ring, bracelet, pedant, earrings, or other
- The diamond setting metal- this is the precious metal your diamond is set in (9k gold, 14k gold, platinum, 18k gold, silver, other)
When accessing such instant online diamond appraisals, the jewelers might ask you to upload the original grading report or diamond appraisal. This will help the jewelers offer you the most accurate valuation and a fair price offer. You are also welcome to use a separate box to include additional information that you might consider relevant for the evaluation process.
After closely reviewing all the details, the jeweler buying company will shortly come up with an offer. This is generally a no obligation quote. It means that you do not have to accept selling your diamonds, unless you fully agree with the offer. This is how an instant online appraisal happens, but you should always choose top reputable diamond buying companies.