Dear Diamonds…Did You Know?
When it comes to diamonds…business always gets serious. However, just as with everything else on this Planet, diamonds too carry some fun and quite interesting facts you should know about.
Diamonds in History across the Globe
- India was the sole source of mining for diamonds up until the late 18h century. There was no other country in the World where diamonds could be procured for our great Kings and Queens…
- Diamond mining and production in India saw a slowdown of course after everything has been mined out. In the 1730s, a new pool of diamonds has been discovered in Brazil.
- In North America diamonds were found in the 1850s, but this discovery was not looked upon as amazing especially after huge diamonds reserves were discovered in Africa. ..and this is how the great Diamond Rush started…
- When it comes to volume, Russia is the number one producer of diamonds in the world. When it comes to value, Botswana is the country producing the most expensive diamonds on Earth.
- Currently, USA purchases approximately 40% of the world’s best quality diamonds production. How does this translate? That US is the market leader when it comes to diamond trading.
Diamonds Fun & Curiosities
- It is impossible for a diamond to “perish” in a house fire for example. Diamonds can be burned at minimum 1300 degrees, and in general a house fire will reach 1000 degrees.
- Diamonds are considered the most important gemstones for people born in April. If you are lucky enough to be born in April, you can demand your birthstone that symbolizes luck, affection and never-ending love.
- Diamonds are formed at approximately 80 to 120 miles below the surface of the Earth. Luckily for the miners, they are brought closer to the surface by the movement of the volcanoes and the final eruption.
- Diamonds are indeed the hardest natural substance on Earth.
- When it comes to their age…diamonds can be even 3+ billions of years old
- The meaning of the word ‘diamond’ actually comes from the Greek ‘adamas’ which translates into ‘indestructible’
- In older times, when diamonds were easily accessible….some warriors actually decorated their armors with diamonds when they were going into battle. They believed diamonds will bring them luck, and make them invincible too…
- Nowadays, lab created diamonds resemble almost 100% the naturally mined diamonds. It really takes a lot of experience and extensive testing in order to tell the difference between a lab grown gemstone and one that is mined naturally.